Sunday, 7 May 2017

Sticking with God through it all. Even the really rubbish stuff.




I am by no means an expert.
I honestly can’t offer understanding.

But I can put my thoughts, along with a few nudges from God, down on a piece of paper and hope that you read this and it changes your perspective, encourages your decisions or generally makes you feel a little bit better.

This year already has been a bit of a rollercoaster (pretty much the same as every year, rollercoasters seem to be a speciality.) and I’ve found myself more and more having to learn just how much I don’t know about God’s faithfulness.

A key phrase for me over the past few years has been “trust without borders.” If you know me you will know I cry every time we sing “oceans”, I get it in henna across my back and generally use it in most things I do. You are probably sick of hearing it!

 However, the weight of what that implies still astounds me.

You mean, I should give absolutely everything to God, trust him with my whole life plan and rely on him through pray and worship to be my provision, refuge and strength?!

Some mornings I wake up and think, well today that just isn’t going to work for me ok?

And the worst part of that is, I find myself telling God that because it’s a difficult day ahead, I’ll handle it!

I’m laughing at myself while writing this because I know now how silly I must sound in those moments.

On those days, I forget that I need him more than ever. That although I think I’ve got everything under control I definitely wouldn’t have made it to the end of the day without him!

I’m slowly learning (and I mean slowly) that my days need to involve certain things to even attempt to fulfil “trust without borders.”

      1.       Give God everything.

Not just the hard things, not just the moments you already know you will need help with, but everything. From the moment you wake up let God know the day is his (it is already, but letting go is important.) Give thanks for the cup of coffee, ask him to help you speak truth over yourself in the mirror and let him know you are ready for any opportunities (and mean it!)




2.       Stop to pray.

You might be thinking, I don’t have the type of work day where I can just put everything on hold, walk away for 20 minutes and then pick up from where you left off. This is a reminder that prayer can be a constant conversation. Solid time for pray is important but pray through situations at work, school or home. Just a quick little chat with the big man can change your perspective in an instant.

3.       Find Joy.

I’ve been so inspired and encouraged lately by friends using social media to spread joy. Although this might seem like posting some pictures or writing a status might become distracting, it’s a challenge to actively find Joy in your day. By recording Joy not only are we storing fuel for bad days (just like writing down God’s blessings) ,

you are becoming more aware of what Joy feels like. If you are feeling joy on a daily basis, walking with God through the really difficult situations could become easier.

I like to think it’s a little bit like muscle memory when playing an instrument. The more you practice the easier it is to play and the more natural it feels.



4.       Remind yourself that you are human.

It’s often easy to beat yourself up because you have tried to do something yourself and not let God get involved. Remember, God knows your strengths and weaknesses. He knows your thoughts before you say them. He knows if you are about to doubt him or give up.

He knows that after the doubt or anger you will have a moment of realisation.

But as you turn back towards God he just says

 “I’m still here.”



Life isn’t always great. Some days are just really rubbish. Sometimes you feel like God is hanging out on the other side of the planet.

He is always there.

He always has been and he always will be.

Thank God for your cuppa, let him know that you need him and then give him the glory for his faithfulness.


Thanks for making it this far through the ramble! love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment